Saturday, January 3, 2009

You've Got Mail...

I just finished watching this movie for about the 100th time... I LOVE this movie. Don't know why. It just is so cute. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan - love them both - two of my favorite actors. And of course the fact that it involves books and computers (two of my other favorite things).

I love the part in the movie where she talks about her mother and how they "twirled". Here's another favorite part (one of her e-mails to him) :

Subject: Date: 9/30/98 7:52:20 AM Eastern Standard Time
From: Shopgirl
To: NY152
Once I read a story about a butterfly in the subway, and today I saw one. It got on at 42nd and off at 59th, where I assume it was going to Bloomingdale's to buy a hat that will turn out to be a mistake. As almost all hats are.

NOW don't ask me why - but that is just adorable! I know, I know a lot of people may think this is a really cheesy movie. But I don't! It's just plain sweet and romantic in a funny way.

I think one of the reasons why I am so crazy about this movie is that we all LOVE getting e-mail, notes, cards, letters, etc. (and comments on our blogs - hint hint) It's like a little affirmation thing I guess. We all want those little pats on the back. In fact when I used to check my mail and nothing was there I would say, "well, nobody loves me today". Not really meaning that of course, but now I think about that and it makes me laugh.

Here's another favorite from the movie:

Subject: life
Date: 10/21/98 9:18:36 PM Eastern Standard Time
From: Shopgirl
To: NY152
Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life. Well, valuable, but small. And sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it, or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around? I don't really want an answer. I just want to send this cosmic question out into the void. So goodnight, dear void.


I think we all feel small at some point. I know I do. And like this character - I love my life, but could I be more brave?

OK, OK, I will quit all this in just a minute. A couple more favorites and I'll move on. Well I LOVE books - so this quote is very fitting I think:

Kathleen Kelly (Meg's character): When you read a book as a child, it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does.

Hey I even like the music in this movie. The song that plays at the opening - The Puppy Song - by Harry Nilsson. So cute and catchy. That's what is playing right now! If you want to make it stop - scroll to the bottom of this page and click the pause sign. (I promise I will only leave it playing for a day or so!)

More tomorrow - have a lovely evening! (Well I just counted... and I said "love" 7 times - oops 8 times now - in case you were wondering.)

No comments: